Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Is it safe?

"Is it safe?"

As the day of our departure for Ukraine gets nearer and nearer, we are being asked this question by nearly everyone.  People who knew nothing about Ukraine a week ago are hearing about what's going on via social media, the news, word of mouth.  And now they want to know, out of genuine concern for our well-being, it it's safe for Adam and I to travel now.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the concern, especially as threats by Russia seem to escalate and there's a whole lot of unknown.

But overwhelmingly, our answer to this question is very simple...

We don't know if it's safe to travel, but what we do know is that it's not safe to leave our kids in an orphanage out of fear that God will for some reason decide not to be sovereign over the situation.  We're not looking for safety within the confines of these American borders, although I absolutely do not negate the beauty of the freedom that we have within this country and the blessing it is to live here.  We're looking for safety in the arms of our Heavenly Father...our Daddy, who has got this just as much now as He did before the violence in Ukraine began.

For nearly a year I have been in love with a certain Hillsong tune called Oceans.  The lyrics...they get me every time.  I think the next time I'm asked the question, "Is it safe?", I'm just going to reply with the lyrics to the song...



Do you see the Biblical truth that is this song?  It's His promises to us.  He doesn't promise safety.  He promises Himself.  He promises to never leave us.  His hand is sovereign.

And when you know He is calling you out upon the waters, when you know with all of who you are, then you walk into that great unknown with nothing but full assurance that He goes before you.  I don't think Adam and I could have more peace about going.  Because when you jump and you experience Him catching you, you just want to jump higher and fall harder into His arms.  Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines and let the fear of man keep us confined to what we consider "safe."  Now is the time to step out in faith.

Our pastor said something Sunday that has really stuck with me.  I don't ever want to forget this one.

He said, "If you're fearless, you'll have influence."

I'm not looking to change the world, but I do want to seek Jesus so much that He in me changes my world.

So we go wherever He calls us and this time it's to Ukraine.  And we anticipate our faith being made stronger.

...for God gave us a spirit not of fear
but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...