Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas 2013 Takeaways

1.  Gingerbread houses are way more fun when constructed from "scratch" with graham crackers, homemade royal icing and leftover candies dating back to last Halloween.

The spread.

It's all about icing in Ziplocs...just not sandwich size, they don't support gobs of royal icing.

Serious business, this decorating stuff.

"Ooh, I found just the right spot."

Resembling a military barack a little more than a house, but who's judging.

2.  Cinnamon ornaments infused with essential oils are the way to go if you're interested in having your house smell amazing for like weeks to come.  But more than that, I'm reminded that my desire for perfection robs my children's souls of joy and that it's just not worth it.  So I choose to let the flour that I still find caked to my cabinets after this little adventure remind me of the joy of letting go of my expectations to focus on their desires.  And they desire to have fun...and lots of it.

Expert ornament makers.

If only I could keep these little hands from growing any bigger.

Assembly line work...all on their own.

Nothing makes a mess more beautiful than these proud grins.

3.  Reindeer...I mean black crows...like oats.  We didn't exactly see any reindeer jumping our walls to get to the oats, but by golly we know there's no chance of crows facing extinction any time soon!  As the girls spread oats by the handful on the grass in our backyard, Charlee asked, "Mommy, I don't really understand reindeer and Santa.  It's so confusing."  Neither do I, little girl, neither do I.

Bag of oats, round 1.

"Let's spread them while we twirl."  There's always a reason to dance.

Jumpin' for joy...even if she doesn't know why she's doing what she's doing.

4.  I will never again underestimate the power in not only praying for a far off country, but in truly attempting to understand the way history shapes a culture's present.  I prayed more for a certain distant country with passion as I felt the weight in some small way of what their future could hold.



5.  I was reminded that God has given me two beautiful, amazing and unique daughters with the sole purpose of discipling them that Lord willing one day they would know and love their Creator.  I am beyond blessed to be their mama.

Christmas sweeties.

Clearly we could use a lesson in modesty.

"What you say, Grampa?"

6.  When it's all said and done, the best way to spend Christmas is in two ways: 1) outside and 2) with family.

Prrrrrrr.

Taking this motherhood business very seriously.

"Watch Mommy.  I a monkey."

"Lemme just give you a little push, Crampa."

Cheese.

Great Grandpa talking Adam's ear off.

The girls.

7.  There's nothing better than quality cousin time.

Got wheels?

Tinkerbell for the girls...and Finley.

Teaching...

...and learning.

It's gonna pop!

Watch out world...we're bonding over some stroller time.

Remote control fire engines...fun for all!

Center stage grand finale.

8.  Jesus is enough.  


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you made some beautiful memories. You take great pictures. Hope God continues to bless you and your family in the new year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...