Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A secret and a certification

We have a secret.  There's a little something Adam and I feel we need to let you all in on.  I take that back, it's actually a bit of a big something.  A big something that's been laid on our hearts for about 2 months now.

So, about those even numbers I mentioned here about 3 months ago.  Let's just say that while I was getting used to the idea of an odd number of children, God was more or less just teasing me with that idea.  All the while, He was still working.  He was busy opening our hearts further than we expected.

He wasn't done with us.  And from experience I can say there's no better place to be than undone.

And so with hearts and hands open to the Lord and HIS timing and HIS plans and HIS purposes, we will be pursuing not just one child through this adoption, but two beautiful, amazing children.


Stepping out in faith and letting the Lord lead sometimes takes you to places you never would have imagined on your own, places that you would have said "no" to previously.  This place for us has less to do with the number of children than it does with the fact that this time, it's a BOY!

A boy.  I still can't wrap my mind around this one.  Do you know what a boy means?  If you do, please let me know because those 3 letters are going to change everything around here...like the predominantly pink bathroom that the girls currently share upstairs.  Yep, pretty sure the cute little owls may see their last day long before I ever intended.

Even writing the word "boy" kind of causes me to take a deep breath.  It's not that I'm opposed to boys by any means, but once you get it in your head that you're going to be a "girl" family, the whole boy concept certainly can feel like a curve ball.  Speaking of balls, I'm fairly certain we'll be seeing our fair share of those in the near future because we hear he's quite the athlete.

I really want to share with you more about this precious boy, but I'm going to have to leave you hanging for a bit on that one.  Yes, we do know his name and quite a bit about him.  And I'll share some of what we know hopefully within the next week or two, but for now I'd like to ask that you join with us in prayer.  You see, this boy does not know us.  He knows we exist because one of his closest friends is K and he knows she has a family coming for her.  What he doesn't know is that he has a family coming for him...if he would like one.

Our next step is to ask him if he would allow us to be his family as well.  So would you please pray that the Lord would prepare his heart to receive that question and our hearts to ask it?  Would you please pray for wisdom for us as to how best to communicate our intentions to him?
.....

I may not be able to share more about our boy now, but I can share something else that's super exciting...











Our home study is officially complete and we are certified to adopt children in the state of Arizona.  Now we just have to convince a certain foreign government that they should also allow us to adopt!  To do that we are continuing to compile our dossier.  Currently, we are waiting on a fingerprinting appointment from USCIS as well as an FBI clearance letter.  Once we have these two things we will submit our dossier.

It is so very challenging in this waiting to be continuously mindful of the fact that ALL of the waiting really is upon the Lord.  It is He, and He alone, who continues to strengthen us in the waiting.  It's easy to get so caught up in the doing, thinking you actually have control over any of this, and forget that He's got it...ALL of it.  He's got them.  Not just the two children we are pursuing, but each and every child who is fatherless.

They are each His.  Not forgotten.  Not unloved.  Not unworthy.

Now it's just a matter of whether the Church will step us as the bride of Christ and be the mother to these overlooked, but not forgotten, children.

The Gospel is not a picture of adoption,
adoption is a picture of the Gospel.
-John Piper-

6 comments:

  1. This is SO exciting!! I am anxiously awaiting continued good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing Ashley! I will be praying with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy!!! Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for your family!! Can't sit to read more! God is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be so blessed by this decision!!!! he will be the best big brother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness such sweet news!! I love even numbers too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...