Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Two weeks

Somehow our family was chosen to be part of an amazing experience.  Really, when I sit back and think about it, which I have had little time to do, I am awestruck by the fact that God chose me and my little family to be one little girl's first experience of life outside an orphanage.  He chose her, He chose us.  And two weeks ago today I was blessed to welcome her to the United States for the very first time.


Awe.

Why me?  Why my family?  Of all the people in this world...He chose us.  Not to bless her, but to be blessed by her.

This is the sweet girl, Kate, that I met for the first time on July 16th.  (Did I mention that was only two weeks ago?)


Did you see her?  That was her, in the red, distant and with the posture of a little girl who was not only timid, but also feeling sick after traveling on an airplane for the first time in her life, and quite possibly the first time in a car as well.

Amazing what an hour or so sitting together will do.  We exchanged smiles as I showed her pictures on my phone of the people she would call family for the next month.


After leaving the airport, we (my friend Ashleigh, who is hosting another child, and I) checked into our hotel room with two children who, just over an hour earlier, we had not even met.  But it's amazing what food will do to break down walls and build relationships!  Food and ginormous beds that provide great space to run and jump and chase one another on.  Who needs Magic Mountain when you've got a good mattress that sends you flying just as high as any roller coaster would?


Just two hours after arriving on American soil, this is sweet Kate all tucked in to her queen-sized hotel room bed with it's multitude of down pillows and abundance of empty space.


And the very next day, it was time to make these two exhausted children travel even further, to a place where the temps hit three digits.  We made sure not to tell them that before getting out of the car in Phoenix for fear they would want to get on the next plane back to EU.


I have never experienced a 7 hour car-ride, including children, that was more quiet and peaceful than this one.  Sometimes a language barrier is a beautiful thing.  Not to mention exhaustion from so much travel that these sweet kiddos slept much of the time.

Alas, we made it to Phoenix where we met up with our families at, where else, but Chick-fil-A.

It wasn't long before we saw that Kate loves babies.  I don't mean she loves babies, I mean she LOVES, LOVES, LOVES babies.  Like so much so that you may never get your baby returned to you once she gets ahold of said baby. Conveniently, Ashleigh has an adorable 11-month old that was a true ice breaker for everyone involved.


It didn't take long before we began to see this face...

And we've seen nothing but this face ever since...two weeks of beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad your having an amazing time together. I can just feel the love and blessing over your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...