Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A prayer and a praise

My sweet Charlee,

For 5 years we have prayed over nearly every meal, prayed at each bedtime, prayed through times of discipline...we have prayed.  I have asked you on many occasions if you would like to pray and you have always politely responded with a quick "no."

Until 3 days ago.

I don't know what changed for you.  Maybe you feel more confident than you have in the past.  Maybe you're just doing this because you think it pleases me and Daddy.  Maybe it just seems cool to you.  I don't know.  I don't know that I need to know.

You prayed.  The first time was before lunch and you said very simply, "God, let us have a good lunch.  Amen."

Today before lunch this was your prayer...  "Dear Jesus, I pray that we would have a good lunch.  And I pray that Emily, Abby and Emily's mommy have a good day.  And please heal Grandma Sally's body and take away her sickness.  Amen."

I didn't expect you to continue beyond your request to have a good lunch.  I couldn't let you see the tears that welled up in my eyes.  I get that just because you prayed doesn't mean you know Jesus, it doesn't mean you'll always want to pray and it doesn't mean you even have the right heart motivation for desiring to pray.  But you know what it does mean?  It means that you have heard every last one of the prayers Daddy and I have said over you.  It means you're listening.  It means you're watching.  And it gives me hope that one day you will know this God we pray to daily and that you will talk to Him because you desire Him and you love Him.  A foundation is being laid, and while I fail daily as your mom, you see me in my inadequacy begging God for help to love you with His love.

So you prayed and now I'm praising God above because He is at work in this home, in this family, and He gives us reason to hope with glimpses daily into His glory.  God is so good.  I love you, sweet girl.

Love,
your Mama

2 comments:

  1. Totally a praise and blessing for me to read about this! So special to see her growing and changing and learning from you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...