Friday, July 13, 2012

Rain

Here in the desert, particularly in the summertime, we get excited about rain.  Quite possibly a little too excited, in fact.

This morning the girls and I were sitting in the front bedroom reading books when I couldn't help but be struck by how dark it was getting.  So I opened the front door to assess the situation.  We don't do much opening of the front door in July so this was kind of a big deal.  We stood there, the three of us, with the door open and quickly noticed that we weren't overcome by heat...or by sun.  "Alright girls, it's time to get dressed...quick!  Who knows how long this will last.  We're going for a walk!"

And we were off...

































"Look Mommy, it's like a picture frame."

































Monkey see, monkey do.  "If it's cool enough for Charlee to carry around,
it must be cool enough for me."

































So I might have heard some thunder and seen some lightning, but it was way off in the distance and even though it was pouring in Chandler (Gramma told me), I knew we wouldn't see any of it in Gilbert.  We were on a mission and nothing was going to stop us from enjoying the cool weather.  Our mission: the park!

Uh oh, this could be a problem.


We made it.  Our dry fun didn't last very long, BUT our wet fun was wonderful and way worth it!  We attempted to seek shelter, but it didn't really work out that well.  Can you say drenched?!?!?

































Well, it is Arizona and weather like this doesn't last long.  Surely we can just wait it out, I thought to myself.

Or not.  This adventure just got better because we also met new friends who happen to live six doors down from us and who also happen to have a double jogging stroller.  We loaded the little ones up in the stroller so the two bigger girls could run with us mommies home to real shelter.

"Seriously, Mama, you're gonna make me sit that close to this boy we just met 5 minutes ago.
Oh, did you say snack?  I think I'll be able to handle myself just fine!"
























And so we ran.  And ran.  And ran some more.  Of course, this time we didn't choose the park in our own neighborhood.  We chose the park about a mile away...maybe not, but it felt far at the time!

Phew, we made it home.  With our new friends.  God is so good!  I woke up this morning feeling like it was just gonna be another one of those days.  Another day cooped up inside.  More play-doh, more coloring, more bounce house.  But I really wanted to go outside.  And not like in the pool going outside because it's the only way it's bearable.  Like really get outside and PLAY.  This mama's heart was overjoyed by the morning God provided for us.  He knew we needed to get out and move and boy did we ever!


































And then we got out the umbrellas...after the rain stopped.  Oh well.
























































































"Mama, tell me again why you thought that was so much fun?"

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...