Sunday, July 22, 2012

KDSGONE

This was the license plate of a car I passed on the way home from church this morning.  And it wasn't just any old car.  I don't know my luxury cars, but it was some variety of Mercedes that surely cost over $100,000.  I saw it and I totally made a judgment that I had to repent of already.  But this is where my mind and my heart went...

Really?  So what, you've raised your kids and now they're gone so you feel you deserve this vehicle, that somehow you've earned it because you've completed the task of raising children?  What does that say to your kids?  That now that they are gone, you're living the good life?  That it wasn't so good while they were there, but it is now that they're out of the house, that life is fun again?  And what does it say to the world?  That having kids is great and all, but life just gets so much better once they're gone?  That life while raising kids is no fun, that you just suck it up and get through it because you have your heart set on better things?  Really?

Okay, so I have no idea what the real story is behind this woman, her car and her license plate.  It sure did get me fired up though.  Isn't that the message of this world?  Having children is almost like an item on the to-do list.  Something you just want check off your list, right up there with folding laundry and mopping the floor.  That really they are a burden, a hindrance to your life and your fun.  Because we all know that most of the things that go on our to-do lists are things we don't want to do.

I will not be that mom who thinks of her children as an item to be checked off the list.

I don't want to constantly look to the future holding out hope that I'll make it through the parenting years and that only then will I enjoy life.  I want to thrive in the parenting years.  I want joy now.  And I believe there is joy to be had now if we have the mind of Christ.

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as theses (Matthew 19:14)."

If this is Jesus' heart, I want it to be mine.  I want to love my children so much that I pour into them every ounce of time and energy I have.  I want them to know Jesus and if I want them to know Jesus, then my life is drastically affected.  They will not feel as though they are hindering my life, because in so many ways they are my life.

I am Mommy because of them.

I am Mommy in the tickling and in the disciplining.

I am Mommy in the joy and in the pain.

I am Mommy in the trenches, the day-to-day, the mundane.

But I am Mommy and there is no one else who can claim that title for my little girls.

I will love them in their sin and selfishness because Jesus loves me in my sin and my selfishness.

He chose me so I choose them.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...