Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Special Anniversary

Today is a very special day for me. Now, before you get really excited to find out what this anniversary is all about...don't! I don't think it means a whole lot to anyone but me...in fact, I can probably guarantee that! Anyway, today marks the day 6 years ago that I moved to Arizona. From where, you ask? San Diego. The next question is always, "Why would you voluntarily leave such a beautiful place to move to Phoenix?" Ah, and the answer, quite simply is this: It wasn't me, it was God! Seriously, there is absolutely no reason that I can find that should have drawn me to this place...this place in the desert where there is just a whole lot of dirt and brand new shopping centers all with the same stores and restaurants. Yep, I'm pretty sure it was God's doing that I am here today!

So, on June 7th, 2003 my parents and I left from Encinitas with two cars and a U-Haul packed full of my stuff and arrived in Mesa, Arizona some time later. Actually, it only took me about 5 hours to get here...apparently I was excited to get here because 5 hours means I was driving too fast! Lemon and Pear Tree Apartments on Alma School Road just south of the 60...that was my new home. I didn't know a soul here and didn't have a job lined up. All I knew was that I was done with life as I knew it in Encinitas. In fact, I was beyond DONE with that life!

That life really wasn't much of a life...all by my own choosing. I really didn't feel there was anything to live for. Self-centered and destructive are the two words I would use to describe my life, to describe me, at that time. Finally, I reached a point where I just had to get out...I had to start over. By the grace of God, He called me to a new life...in Arizona.

This new life meant freedom for me. I no longer had to be a slave to the bulimia and the depression that had consumed me in so many ways for far too long. Looking back, it's hard for me to believe that was me because I always knew it wasn't. My feeling for so long was of being held underwater and just not being able to surface...no freedom to get to the surface, being suffocated from the life I knew I was meant to live. So much has changed since those lonely days. I have discovered that life doesn't revolve around how much fat is consumed and calories burned. Sure, I still have my issues because I am female and I am human, but there is simply no comparison to the bondage I was once in. The Lord brought me here so that I could experience true freedom, true grace and true mercy. In addition, He allowed me to meet the love of my life, find an incredible church home and give birth to my little Charlee. He truly has restored the years that the locusts had eaten. This is the reason I celebrate today! Happy Anniversary to me! =)

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful testimony to how God heals and delivers us from the pit. It is truly a special day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary to you! God is SO good to us :-) and I am so glad you came and brought some of your family with you (eventually!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of the woman you've become... His masterpiece for sure. To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, thanks for posting. Very inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary...I'm glad you moved here too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a special day today is!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! You have quite a testimony. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...