Monday, June 15, 2009

Maddening...

I was reading a family member's blog the other day and she quoted a statistic that I find so incredibly disgusting and maddening. She stated that 90% of babies diagnosed with down syndrome are aborted. I did a little research and found that based on the data out there, this is a fact. You know, I've often wondered recently why it is that I feel like I never see anyone with Down syndrome anymore. We had several students in my high school with Down syndrome, but since then I don't feel like I ever encounter them. Anyway, I just can't imagine taking the life of my unborn child simply because he is not "perfect" according to the world's standards. Personally, I find children with Down syndrome some of the most fun to be around. I love the sense of joy they have that stretches so much further into their lives than so many of the rest of us. I guess I just needed to vent and commend all 10% of the parents who chose to give birth to and commit to raising their children with Down syndrome!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, I totally agree! I can't believe that stat! Sickening

    ReplyDelete
  2. It because of those stats that makes me want to stand with a sign fighting for our babies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...