Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Innocent to the pain...

These days I find that I am still reflecting on our recent time in Ogallala, on the last days we had with Chuck on this earth and on the subsequent days that were so full of love and fellowship with family and great friends. One of the true joys of those days was in having Charlee there with us. Prior to leaving we considered having her stay with Grandma and Grandpa Brockhaus while we were gone because we knew it would ease the burden of travelling, etc. Thankfully, we were convinced otherwise by my mom who reminded us that it would probably be a blessing to have her there with us during such an otherwise painful time.

We hadn't been in Ogallala long when I realized just how right she was and was so thankful that we had here there with us. I was explaining that in an email to a friend while we were away and her sweet response included these words: "Charlee is so innocent to the pain around her and I am sure she is her happy, joyful self which can lighten a heavy load." These words couldn't have rung truer with me. Little children are a blessing because they are innocent to the pain. It didn't matter what was going on around her, she was still her precious little girl self...a little girl who laughed when she heard her Grandpa snoring in the hospital bed after surgery. For a moment it seemed wrong to me that she would laugh when she saw him and heard him snoring (quite loudly, I might add!), but then the Lord reminded me that Charlee was innocent to the pain and reacted just as if there was none because she wasn't experiencing it herself. What joy there is in this...that He would protect these little children from the pain while using them to provide laughter in the times of deepest hurt. He is so very sovereign and so very good to us!

I think these pictures capture Charlee's innocence to the pain...they were taken just across the street from the hospital after a visit with her Grandpa Chuck...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...