Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Delight yourself in the Lord...


Delight yourself in the Lord,and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord;trust in him, and he will act. --Psalm 37:4-5
1
Delight: to feel or express joy or triumph; to take great pleasure; to give joy or satisfaction to

I just couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the simple truth of the words on Charlee's shirt today from Psalm 37. I dressed her in the morning, but it wasn't until later in the afternoon when we were playing (and she was having a great time doing her head-banging routine) that I thought to myself, "Wow, this child doesn't even know the Lord yet, but she continues to find delight in the simple things. Sometimes I think she has more joy than I do and she doesn't know Christ. How sad."

Maybe it's just the fact that she's still a baby and the entire world is still brand new to her, but nonetheless this served as reminder to me that if we allow ourselves the opportunity to be still, we too can have the joy of a child. Charlee takes pleasure in such things as water bottles, tags, glasses and even her food. I am too often hurried causing me to miss much of what God has for me to enjoy. I miss so much because I'm always seeking to stay busy, in a way afraid of having moments of stillness. Does busyness glorify the Lord? Most of the time, I would say the answer to that question is, "No," because my busyness distracts me from the Lord. So, if my sole purpose in existing is to glorify God, I need to constantly check myself and my priorities. I believe Satan has created so much busyness today because it distracts us from the God we are called to love and serve. And then, when we do take the time to be still we often feel guilty...another way Satan thwarts us and keeps us from peace.

Enough rambling for now... My prayer as Charlee's Mama is that she will continue to find joy in the simple things and, Lord willing, that one day she would experience the joy of resting in Christ as her Savior. And thank you, Lord, that you continue to use this little girl to understand Your truths in new ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...